In response to this weekend’s projected heat wave, the City is opening cooling centers through Sunday. Details from the City announcement are below. Ridesharing company Lyft is also offering discounted rides to and from the cooling centers for those who need transportation assistance.
City to Activate Cooling Centers This Weekend
UPDATE: Cooling centers will now be open on Sunday as well.
PITTSBURGH, PA (July 18, 2019) With an Excessive Heat Watch in effect in Pittsburgh starting at noon tomorrow, a select number of Citiparks Healthy Active Living Centers will serve as cooling centers from Friday through Sunday.
Healthy Active Living (Senior Community) Centers:
HOURS: Friday, July 19: 8 a.m. to 7 p.m.
Saturday, July 20, and Sunday, July 21: 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Greenfield Healthy Active Living (Senior) Center, 745 Greenfield Avenue 412.422.6551
- Homewood Healthy Active Living (Senior) Center, 7321 Frankstown Avenue 412.244.4190
- West End Healthy Active Living (Senior) Center, 80 Wabash Avenue 412.937.3068
Outdoor swimming pools are open, weather permitting. A list of outdoor pools can be found here.
Spray Parks are also open daily, weather permitting. A list of spray park facilities can be found here.
The 2019 Highland Park Porch Crawl map is now available! We hope to see lots of neighbors participating in the crawl on Saturday June 29, 2019 from 6-10 pm.!
The HPCC June 2019 newsletter is now available!
IN THIS ISSUE:
- A Letter from the President
- May Meeting Minutes (sort of)
- Cinema in the Park
- Zone 5 Open House Success!
- Meantime vs. Meanwhile
- Get a Reminder about City Cuts Sign Up in 2020
Please join us this Thursday at 7 p.m. at St. Andrew’s Church for the HPCC Annual Meeting.
Get updates from HPCC Committee Leaders and vote in the election of new HPCC Directors and Board Members. If you care about what happens in the neighborhood, come to the meeting and participate in the process.
We’ll have pizza if you don’t get a chance to eat beforehand and onsite child care so families can attend.
We hope to see you there!
In conjunction with the City’s “Cinema in the Park” program, the HPCC is hosting Movie Night parties. Come enjoy free popcorn, themed party favors, trivia, and hanging under the stars with your friends and neighbors! Movies begin at sunset; the parties an hour before. The location is Mount Bigelow – the highest point in the park! – on Reservoir Drive, on the back side of the reservoir, off the parking loop.
Monday, June 24: Popcorn & Provocateurs
- Come incognito or as you are – – We’ll provide the spy gear, plus free popcorn and movie trivia – Trivia winner will receive a pair of movie passes to the Waterworks Cinema!
- Movie: “Johnny English Strikes Again” (2018, PG)
- RSVP Here
All events are free, but please RSVP so we can plan accordingly.
For more information on Cinema in the Park, please visit: